Various projects

Trying to get the thinning of the paint just right, I tested it on a pane of glass first. Always got bubbles, runs, drips, sags, or brush marks in some combination.
One of the wheels on the cradle just wouldn’t turn. Problem was the brakes. All rusted. Left over from the days when this wheel/axle was part of a minivan.
So I just ripped it all out, both sides, and regreased the outer bearings.
Happy is now retired! How does one follow up teaching inner city youths? By sanding bottom paint, of course.
As part of the deck recore I got rid of the spinnaker pole deck chocks. Pole collected dirt under it and it took up precious deck space. I found this setup on eBay. It stores the pole essentially outboard, and raised off the deck.
Final portion of deck painting now completed with the cockpit. Plenty of drips, runs, and sags on this complex shape.
In replacing the aft teak cap rail I left it short so that the line guides rest on the fiberglass rather than the wood as before. The old cap rail had been split by the forces exerted by lines on this fitting.
In our last storm the anchor got loose and did some damage including battering the clamshell vent covering the holding tank vent. Here is the “vintage” replacement. Note the gelcoat scratches, which were also repaired.
Another clamshell vent was also replaced, this one at the other end of the boat: the cover for the engine-compartment blower intake. Old vs. new.
And here she is after two days of compounding and waxing. But not by me! I paid three young guys $800 to spare me that chore.
Because I had lots of exercise in store for myself: sanding teak! Here is a portion of caprail after scrubbing but before sanding.
And here after sanding but before varnish (Cetol, actually).
And here’s the final product after almost two years of (mostly part-time) work. Let’s say fifteen hundred hours, roughly speaking.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *